Wednesday 5 December 2012

ONE SQUARE MILE Assignment : First shoot : Crit and Mid Project Review










From my first photoshoot once I had thought of my theme 'Tourism In York' I chose these images to show to my class and get feedback from them in a Crit. This is where I show people who don't know about my project a few of my first images and see if they get the concept of my project and if they like my images. This is good because even though you may get positive or negative feedback, it is always good to get feedback from a new set of eyes because everyone will look at your project in a different way and can see things that you wont see yourself and tell you how to improve or move the project on. I asked one of my peers to fill out a form to give me some feedback on my work :


"Q : What are the photographs about? What is the concept?
A : Tourists in York.


Q : Is there a common Aesthetic? How could they be edited to make into a more coherent series?
A : Main focus is the people, the signs help the content. It's clear the people are tourists or work for tourist entertainment.


Q : Does the order of the images make sense? Does ordering enhance the concept?
A : Yes the order makes sense, it builds up information about where it is and the concept behind the project.


Q : What is working well with the series?
A : The mix of tourists and people who work in tourism - the humorous shots of the lost and trigger-happy tourist with the overly happy tourist entertainers. 


Q : Which images are working well? Consider both in terms of communication and aesthetic.
A : All the images work well - communication of the narrative is crystal clear - there's a mixed style of interactive and step-back documentary images which work really well together.


Q : Are there any images that need to be worked on? How? Cropping etc.
A : No. Cropping and composition are spot on.


Q : Are there any images that should be removed? Soft/Overexposed/Doesn't fit the series etc.
A : No. There aren't any images that have issues with softness or overexposure.


Q : What images are missing? i.e should there be a landscape image to give context? Would dead pan/street images be more suitable?
A : It would be good to have a landscape wide angle street shot of a busy town centre to show how many people are visiting York."



Overall I am really happy with this feedback because it is very positive towards my work. I am going to take on board the fact that they said I need more wide angle shots of a busy town centre. I also was told by someone else that it would be good if I could take more pictures of people - especially people in costume because it shows that there is lots of life in York rather than seeing a sign for a tourist attraction, actually seeing a person who works at the tourist attraction. I will take all this information on board for when I do my next photoshoot. I will keep shooting in the same style as well and review my images at a later date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment