Monday 23 April 2012

Rosie the duck










A couple of months ago our garden played host to two new visitors - a male and female duck. I named them Rosie and Jim after the children's TV programme I used to watch when I was younger about the two rag dolls who travelled on a canal boat. About a month later, we noticed Rosie seemed to have been left on her own, and she kept hiding behind our pond. We thought this was her way of hoping Jim would be able to come back and find her there. After our dog was getting very anxious about the creature hiding behind the pond, we decided to take a look to see if she was OK. We then discovered that she had built a nest behind there, which  had a load of eggs in it. We were so excited to think that we could have little ducklings swimming around on our pond. 

Then, after patiently waiting, and hoping her eggs were healthy, around 28 days after we discovered the nest, she had her ducklings. There are 11 of them and they love swimming on our pond and toddling around our garden. They are so gorgeous I just couldn't miss the chance to photograph them, as I'm not sure how long they will still stay in our garden. As an animal lover I love going out to see them every day and feeding them a special crumb mix for ducklings which we bought for them.

Here are a few of the images that I took of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment