Tuesday 5 March 2013

ADVERTISING Assignment : PAPER CLIPS : Research


This is an advert for Volks Wagen. They are a company who make cars so to have a paperclip as their advert is really different and abstract. They have bended a paperclip into the letters V and W. I think this is interesting but I didn't instantly see a V and a W. and think this is because of the top of the paperclip - at first it just looks like a paperclip but when you take a proper look at it you see that it says VW. I'm not sure if I like this image, I think it looks quite dark and gritty and I'm not really keen on the ring of light around the paperclip. 

I like how colourful this shot is. Using coloured paperclips would have made my images for this project look slightly more interesting, however, we are being restricted to using plain silver ones. I don't really like the shadows created in this image, I think for an advertising project the images that I take will need to look a lot cleaner on a completely white background with as little shadow as possible. 


These airplane clips look really fun and interesting. I don't know if the person who made this image has bent them into this shape or whether they were purchased like this. I could bend the plain silver paperclips I use for my project into shapes to make them more interesting than a standard paper clip.  



I think this image is an advert for a hat hook which is shaped like a paper clip. I don't really like this image as I think there are too many distracting things in the image. I think they have tried to make it look more like a real life situation, like a real hat hook in a home or office, but I think the poster, the lamp, the thing behind the hat and the little spikey thing above the hat are all very distracting. I won't be photographing paperclips to make them look larger than they are, but I do like the idea of using a paperclip for something that it's not meant to be used for. In this case, the paperclip has been used to hang a hat, whereas it normally would be used to hold paper/documents together.



I like this image as it is simple and doesn't need anything else in the image other than the paperclips as they speak for themselves. Unfortunately I think I will need something else in the image because we are just using plain silver ones for our project whereas these ones are bright, colourful and interesting. 



Here is another example of using a paperclip for something that it wouldn't normally be used for. I would imagine that this is much larger than a normal paperclip since it's function is to hang clothes on it. I quite like the simplicity of this image however I don't like how dark/grey it is and would like my images to be clean looking and white.


This is a bracelet that someone has made out of linking paper clips together. I like this idea and I think that it is another example of using them for something more than just holding paper together.

Whenever I think of paper clips I always imagine them to be on one of these magnetic blocks. These are generally used in offices to keep the desk tidy as paper clips will cling to them instead of being scattered round a desk. I don't think I will use one of these in my project because the audience might get confused as to what i'm selling - the paperclips or the magnetic holder. I could use a pack shot of a paperclip to make the audience know what it is I am selling - but I really like the idea of using paper clips for things that you wouldn't normally use them for so I am going to expand on that idea more.



This is another car advert made from paperclips. This is from a different car dealership, before the advert was by Volks Wagen, whereas this one is from Toyota. Instead of creating the logo out of paperclips like Volks Wagen did, Toyota have created the outline of a car from one. I think that this is real and not computer generated and someone has taken the time and effort to carefully bend a paperclip into the shape of a car. This would be very hard work and you would need a lot of patience. I like the lighting in this image. 



No comments:

Post a Comment