Thursday 11 October 2012

ABSTRACT FEAR Assignment : Task 4 & 5 : Preparing for Installation







Here was my first idea as to how to display my images. I wanted them to be plain and simple like in the style that they would be displayed in a gallery. I wanted them to run down opposite walls facing each other, with the CCTV screens and my DVD's playing on them in the middle of the two. However, I thought this looked too organised and less of an installation.





Here I wanted to try and combine the two sets of images I took. From looking at the images laid out like this, I'm not sure if they work well together as a set. I think it's because I have shot the pictures of the girl in the orange hat in such a way to make them look like they were taken on CCTV cameras, whereas the pictures I took of the CCTV cameras are shot in a completely different way and are made to look more clear and artistic. I think these images look too much when they are organised like this, there are too many images and the viewer would be distracted and not know where to look.





Here I think my images look better because there isn't as many of them. I'm still not sure how well the two sets work together and I may have to make them separate and display them separately. 





I like this layout with the images of the girl in the orange hat in the centre of the display, with the images of the security cameras in the 4 corners. This is a way of displaying the two sets of images together the easiest without causing too much of a clash. It looks like the cameras are looking in on the girl and capturing the images of her.





After arranging my images like this for the second time without the photographs of the CCTV cameras I have realised that I much prefer them as a set on their own. They are stronger on their own and portray the theme of Big Brother and what I was trying to put across more than with the images of the CCTV cameras. 




I quite like this scattered look of images, it adds a slightly more creepy and personal feel rather than displaying them very neatly like they were in a gallery.



Developing on the idea that I wanted to keep the two sets of images completely separate I decided to change my idea of my installation. 


The new idea for my installation is to have a 'room set-up' where my installation is like a security room. I am going to slightly change the concept of my installation from the fear of Big Brother in general to the fear of someone watching you as well as Big Brother. I am going to make my installation look like someone is taking advantage of their job working in a security room by spying on a girl they have seen on their television screens. I am going to have pictures of my model pinned up on the wall like the person who is watching her is becoming obsessed with her. I am also going to have three videos of lots of different CCTV viewpoints on a loop, some of the videos containing my model to always link her back to the project and make the viewer be watching out to see her on the screen. I am going to have my images of security cameras on an outside wall of the 'security room' setup as sort of an introduction to the project. I also would like to have facts about CCTV next to the images of the security cameras, adding another element of scary. For example how many times someone is seen on camera a day, how many cameras are in the UK altogether, etc.



Seeing my images like this just makes me realise even more how much of an individual set they are and they should be displayed seperately from the images of my model walking around.




Here I am testing out how I want to display my facts about CCTV. I think it would be quite good to display them on paper the same size as my printed images (8x10inches).




I wanted to test out what it would look like if I displayed my facts underneith each image like a caption. Having looked at this I don't like it as much because the text is a lot smalller than the images and the fact that I have cut it out looks less professional.






I have decided that I want to display my images and facts in the way I have done in this bottom image. The fact next to the very last picture in this image is bigger than the other two and I think this looks better. I am going to print out my final facts this size (60pt)



No comments:

Post a Comment