Monday 12 November 2012

ONE SQUARE MILE Assginment : Landscape and Architecture

Researching Photographers :

Robert Polidori :









Robert Polidori uses quite straight on camera angles when shooting landscape and architecture. I really like this because it creates shapes and lines within the image and makes it aesthetically pleasing. I really like how Polidori seems to use a similar sort of colour scheme throughout his images. He seems to capture lots of blues and purples and oranges, this defines a style and people can then recoginise his work and know it was taken by him. I think for a documentary project like the one I am doing it will be good to develop a style so my images look like a set. I think that Polidori will shoot his images using his camera positioned on a tripod and take them on a long exposure to capture the colours more vividly and people moving to create motion blur. I think some of his images almost look like works of graphic design like you see a plan for what a new shopping centre or train station or similar building there is a graphic image created to show what the plans are for the place to look like.




Philipp Klinger








Philipp Klinger is probably my favourite ever landscape and architecture photographer. I absolutely love how he uses shapes in architecture to his advantage in creating beautiful photographs. Klinger often takes his photographs from straight on, composing his image quite centrally. He often uses leading lines to get the viewers attention and draw them into the image. I think his images are more like works of art than photographs because they are shot in a very artistic way. I don't think this will be the type of photography I will use for my project because it is going to be a more documentary style rather than an artistic style.




























These are my first landscape and architecture shots for my One Square Mile project. They were taken within the one square mile around college. I didn't really have a set theme for these shots, I was just going around taking photographs of anything hoping an idea would come up whilst I was out taking photos. I didn't know what to take pictures of because this was the first lesson on the One Square Mile project so I had no idea what I wanted to photograph. After a while of photographing I started to develop the idea of student life. This is because there are a lot of students in the area around college because of the accomodation for Leeds Met Uni. I then started taking photographs of empty cans of cider and pizza boxes. This may suggest student life because generally students like to drink alcochol and eat takeaways. I don't think I developed the theme very well within my images. Looking at my images I think the area that I photographed doesn't look like a very nice place. This may have been because of what I chose to photograph and the fact that it was a very grey and miserable day. I don't think the area looks very nice because of litter on the floor, graffiti on the walls, scaffolding on buildings and un-tended flowers. Shooting these first set of images has made me realise that when I shoot my final set of images for my chosen square mile I need to come up with a theme before I start shooting because then I have something to go on instead of going around taking pictures of anything. If I have a clear idea this will save time and give me more time to take photographs of what I want or to do other work like editing etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment