Thursday 18 April 2013

FMP - Proposal

For my final major project I would like to do a landscape and architecture project on York. I would like to photograph the hidden aspects of York - and not just do the generic tourist photographs. I am going to explore this concept in different ways at first so that I can get a feel for what is working. I am going to explore:
1. What the tourists don't see - the nice areas which aren't well known such as all the little alleyways and back streets.

2. The scruffy areas - people see York as a beautiful historic tourist town. When you think of York you don't imagine it being a mess - I think this would be a different take on the standard photographs of York which are very picturesque and beautiful. I could photograph all the areas of York that are in a mess and give the viewer a different angle on the city. 

3. Little aspects of York - I like the idea of photographing small aspects such as a door handle, or a statue on the side of the minster, or the writing on the side of a boat. These are all things that someone would walk past and not take any notice of - I think it would be really interesting to photograph them and focus on them and show that there is beautiful things that you just walk past in every day life. 

4. Rooftops - I could photograph the rooftops in York as this is would be, for most people, an unseen/hidden view. Most people walk around the streets of York and wouldn't see the rooftops. I would need to get to a high vantage point such as Clifford's Tower, York Minster, York walls etc. 

5. Particular aspects of buildings in York - Doorways, gates, fences. I could photograph lots of different doorways in York and show the variation. Some may be very smart and well kept, others may be in a mess etc.

I am going to produce a minimum of 10 images and a graphic outcome to be displayed in an exhibition. I think for my graphic outcome I would like to produce a book. A book will show the group of images and allow the concept to flow through them. I am going to go on lots of different shoots in York. I think I am going to concentrate on particular areas at a time, and spend a lengthly amount of time in each of those areas so I'm not just going here there and everywhere all over the city and I might miss things. I am going to test out all of my themes/concepts and see which is working and which ones I like. I need to be careful to not necessarily just take images for the sake of it or for an aesthetic reason but try and form a concept behind my images. For my project I will need a camera, a tripod, photoshop and book binding equipment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment