Friday 4 May 2012

YEAR 1 CORE Assignment : Task 1 : Proposal

I have chosen the theme of performing arts for my final year one core project. I chose this theme because I was inspired by some photographs that are displayed in college. There are five photographs displayed on the wall beside the stairs in college, all of which are of live performances. I really liked these images and always thought they looked really nice as a set and I wanted to be able to create something like that myself.

The concept of my project is to take photographs of different aspects of the performing arts in the college. Behind the scenes at rehearsals, dress rehearsals and final performances. These experiences will help me learn to cope with different lighting conditions and how to react quickly under pressure and handle different situations. It will also help my communication skills as I will be meeting with directors like they were a client.

At the end of the project I am going to produce two outcomes in different formats. One outcome will be an exhibition of my photographs in an exhibition room. I will have a 6ft by 5ft piece of wall to display my images on. These will be printed fairly large, but won't take up any space below waist height and above head height. I can choose to display any number of images that I want. It could be three large images or ten smaller images. I don't think that I should display any more than ten as I'd rather have quality over quantity.

Here are some examples of one way which my photographs will definitely be presented:





I will also need to present my work in another format, either a book, projection, poster, t shirt, magazine, video or website. I think I am leaning towards creating a book. I think a book would look really professional and if I had around 10-20 images it would be a nice amount to go into a book, whereas on a t shirt or a poster you can only really use one image.

The main resource I will need is a camera, I don't think I will need any fancy extras like external flash guns or reflectors because these would put performers off. I may need a tripod to capture movement and/or to photograph in very low lit conditions. I will also need to consider travel costs if I am often staying late after college to photograph performances at night. At this time the buses that I get back home probably won't be running so I will need to get the train which is a lot more expensive. I would have to arrange with college to possibly reimburse me for my train tickets.

I will need to work out a timetable for my project and find out what performances are on, where and what times. I will also need to know when and where rehearsals are. This will help me plan my time and work out where I need to be at what time whether that is at college or at other locations where performances are being held. I will also need to plan time into my schedule to edit down my photographs and blog about them. I will need to contact directors either via email or phone and arrange specific dates which I can photograph rehearsals, dress rehearsals or performances.


Influences : 




These are the images on displayed in college that really inspired me to choose this theme/topic. I think these photographs look great as a set and I really like how the photographer has captured the lighting and made the photographs look very raw and interesting. When I produce my final outcomes to be displayed at the exhibition I would like them to be displayed like this, quite large images mounted on foam board and presented in an odd number (everything seems to look better in odd numbers, these five images look great).



Paul Colwell :





















As much as I like these images and think they are very professional looking, the bottom image is definitely staged and I think the top image looks very staged. This type of imagery is very nice to look at and would work well as the poster photograph of an image to go into the performance program, this type of imagery isn't what I am wanting to produce for my final core project. I would like to capture images that look very raw and natural, and capturing moments in plays rather than staging them before or afterwards.



Ayton West :



I absolutely love the colours that have been captured in these performance photographs. I think the way lighting is captured when performance photography is concerned it can make or break an image. If it is captured really well like it is here it can create a mood and feel to the image which really draws the audience in. Capturing interesting lighting and colours like this really excites me to do the theme of performance for my final core project.



David Price :


 I really like these two images taken by David Price. This is the type of performance photography that I want to create for my final core project. This style of photography is more like documentary photography and the images look very natural and you can tell that the photographer has captured them in the middle of a live performance rather than staging the images.



This photograph by David Price is a different style of performance photography. This photograph may be used for publicity purposes like posters, advertisements, programs etc. For my final core project I will be creating the more documentary style of photography rather than this posed, publicity style.



Paul Floyd Blake: 


I love the colours captured in this photograph and they really drew my attention to it. I imagine this to be an iconic moment in the play/performance from this photograph and I think that Blake has captured it really well. 


I really love this photograph taken by Paul Floyd Blake. I love how he has captured movement from the dancer. I also love the lighting in this image. The dancer appears to be glowing with a ring of light surrounding him. The lighting must have been a spot light projected from above the dancer. Some people may say this photograph isn't very good because the dancer isn't sharp, and the photographer should have put the shutter speed up to capture the dancer in freeze motion, but I really like this motion blur that has been created.




DISCLAIMER: 
NONE OF THE ABOVE IMAGES ARE MY OWN.
ALL OF THESE IMAGES WERE TAKEN BY OTHER PHOTOGRAPHERS WHICH I HAVE USED FOR INSPIRATION FOR MY OWN CORE PROJECT.


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment